We have said it before and we will say it again, we here at Niner love a custom paint job on our favorite bikes. For example, Niner has a long history of creating one-of-a-kind bike frames with an IMBA paint scheme and donating these bikes to support trail advocacy.
Cerakote is an extremely high-performing coating that's unlike just about anything on the market.
- It's applied super thin (about 1 mil, or .001"), and therefore requires very little material, so it's super lightweight.
- It's highly abrasion, corrosion, chemical, UV, and temperature resistant.
- It's hydrophobic - mud and water (and decals!) don't want to stick to it.
- It can be applied to many substrates such as metal, composites, plastics, and more.
Thanks to its unique durability and thin-film application, Cerakote is often used for customization of close-tolerance and high-performing sporting goods such as firearms, optics including sunglasses, watches, and automotive parts. A few manufacturers and custom builders in the cycling industry have started using it, including Thomson, Rolf Prima, and Rodeo Labs, but it's far from commonly used among road and mountain bike companies.
Cerakote requires precise and careful application by a certified applicator. Ours was done by the guys at Black Magic Paint in Portland, OR. Black Magic Paint specializes in, "high quality finishing for custom builders, production and individuals." Known for their award winning paint jobs, we tasked Black Magic to give our SIR 9 a new look with Cerakote.
But why go to all the trouble for this second go-'round of Cerkote you ask? Well, the idea behind it came straight from our Sr. Graphic Designer Nate Adams. He said his vision was, he thought it would be cool to build a kind "swiss army bike". He approached this build from the sort of, do-everything-from-trail-to-commuter, philosophy.
There you have it! A Steel trail hardtail that is going to be put through the ringer. So what is the best way to ensure it stays looking mint? Cerakote of course. We're stoked with how the bike looks and hope you enjoy the pictures!
Full Spec List:
- Frame: Niner SIR 9 Medium
- Fork: Rockshox Pike Ultimate 120mm
- Wheelset: Enve M630 29"
- Handlebar: Deity Black Label
- Stem: Deity Copperhead
- Seatpost: RockShox Reverb
- Saddle: SDG Radar
- Derailleur: SRAM XO1
- Cassette: SRAM XO1
- Crank: SRAM XO1
- Brakes: SRAM Guide G2 RSC
- Pedals: Deity Black Kat
- Tires: Maxxis Rekon (F) Rekon Race (R)