At Niner, we take a lot of pride in the fact that our employees ride their mountain bikes and gravel bikes as often as possible. We love working on our bikes and trying new things. From time to time we'll highlight an employee and their bike to give you some insight into what drives our ideas when it comes to new stuff.
New #Ninerd and Niner warehouse employee Cy Foppe wanted to build a RIP 9 RDO specifically for rough, fast, Colorado enduro-style riding. He's a fan of the trails in classic locations like Crested Butte, Aspen/Snowmass, Salida, and similar. He digs the gnarly trails in the high country and wanted a bike suited for the demanding trails in those regions.
Cy's custom-spec RIP 9 RDO 29er reflects his appetite for challenging terrain.
Cy chose a 2021 Rockshox Lyrik Ultimate to handle business up front. The difference from a stock build? 160mm of travel and 42mm offset on the Lyrik vs. the 150mm of travel and 44mm offset that comes on stock Fox 36 forks.
For rear suspension, Cy chose the Rockshox Super Deluxe Coil Ultimate with the stock travel of 140mm. The coil shock adds some weight, but for his riding style he's a fan of the supple suspension response.
Cy stands at 6'1" and chose the large size frame for a balance between maneuverability and high-speed stability. To achieve the best fit, he selected a 50mm FSA Gradient stem, a 800mm OneUp carbon handlebar with 20mm rise, and a PNW Components Loam Lever for the 175mm dropper post. The geometry flip chip is set in the low position.
Cy Foppe's custom RIP 9 RDO 29 full specification:
- RIP 9 RDO 29 Frame, Large, Low Position
- Rockshox Lyrik Ultimate, 160mm, 42mm Offset
- Rockshox Super Deluxe Coil Ultimate, 210x55 Metric
- Shimano XT Drivetrain with SLX Cassette
- Shimano XT 4 Piston Brakes with 180mm Rotors
- FSA Gradient Stem, 50mm Length, 35mm Clamp
- OneUp Components Carbon Bar, 800mm Width, 35mm Bore
- Deity Waypoint Grips
- Fabric Scoop Saddle
- KS LEV SI Dropper Post, 175mm, with PNW Components Loam Lever
- DT Swiss M1900 Wheels
- Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.6 Front, Nobby Nic 2.6 Rear
- Deity Bladerunner Pedals
- Raceface Turbine Cranks, 32t
- YAWYD Bottle Cap: Odell Brewing