The Mid South Gravel event is coming up this weekend, and our loyal gravel grinding #Ninerd Amanda "Panda" Nauman has her RLT 9 RDO ready to roll. Formerly known as Land Run 100, this classic route demands a dialed ride.
Naturally the foundation of Panda's build is the popular RLT 9 RDO frame in size 47cm. Fitted with Shimano PRO bottle cages and Monster Energy Hydro hydration drink, she's ready to go the full distance.
Putting power to the rear wheel is a Shimano Dura Ace 9100 crankset with integrated power meter and 46/34t chainrings. The drivetrain is rounded out with Shimano GRX RX815 Di2 front and rear derailleurs, a Shimano Ultegra 11-34t cassette and a Dura Ace 11-speed chain.
Keeping with the Shimano theme, it's GRX RX810 flat mount brake calipers and 140mm Ultegra centerlock rotors to slow things down (in those rare moments when Panda lets off the gas).
Anyone who has spent time on a gravel bike knows that suitable wheels, tires, and sealant can make or break the ride. In this case, she's chosen 700c Shimano GRX RX57 wheels, set up tubeless with Orange Seal sealant and Rene Herse 38c Steilacoom TC endurance tires. With aggressive tread and stout casing, this tire is ready for the rough.
For backup out at the Mid South, Panda is also bringing a pair of Shimano Dura Ace 9170 C40 carbon tubeless fitted with Panaracer 700cx35 GravelKing Mud tires.
Do you see what she's doing there? That backup wheel system features a narrower rim and tire setup in case of wet weather. The mud at Mid South is notoriously sticky and thick. Narrower tires will knife through it, pick up less, and give better clearance where they pass through the frame.
Oh, and wanna know her tire pressure? Sorry, but it's a trade secret.
Up front, it's GRX RX815 Di2 shifter/brake levers paired with a PRO Discover carbon handlebar in 40cm width, wrapped in PRO bar tape. Fitted with a Garmin computer on a K-Edge mount, there's no losing the course, no matter how remote.
Rounding out this race-ready build is a SDG Bel-Air saddle, PRO Vibe Carbon seatpost, and PRO saddle bag for emergency supplies.
If you're getting ready for a ride or race of your own, you would be wise to mimic Panda's pro setup! Here's the full spec list:
- Frameset: Niner RLT 9 RDO, Size 47 cm
- Shifters: GRX RX815 Di2/Hydro
- Brakes: GRX RX810 Flat Mount
- R Derailleur: GRX RX815 Di2
- F Derailleur: GRX RX815 Di2
- Cranks: Dura Ace 9100, 170mm (46-34) (w/ Power)
- Cassette: Ultegra Cassette, 11-SPD, 11-34
- Chain: Dura Ace 11-Speed w/ Quick Link
- Bottom Bracket: Kogel Bearings PF30-24 for Shimano cranks w/ CROSS seal
- Wheels: SHIMANO GRX RX57 - 700C - Tubeless
- Tires: Rene Herse 700C x 38 Steilacoom TC Endurance
- Backup Wheels: Dura Ace 9170 C40 Carbon Tubeless, 700c
- Backup Tires: Panaracer 700C X 35 GravelKing Mud
- Brake Rotors: Ultegra Centerlock, 140 mm
- Sealant: Orange Seal
- Bars: PRO Discover Carbon 40 cm
- Stem: PRO PLT 50 mm
- Seatpost: PRO Vibe Carbon 27.2 Post - 0 Setback
- Saddle: SDG Bel-Air
- Pedals: XTR, SPD MTB PEDAL
- Hydration: Monster Hydro Purple Passion